I daydream a lot about travelling, about all the different versions of my life I could be living in places different from where I have always been. I fantasize about loving in a language that isn’t mine, relishing meals I can hardly pronounce, dozing off in airports and writing in my diary thousands of feet above the ground. I know I should beware of destination addiction but I really just look forward to a time when I would have seen enough of the world and its different people to realize that there is no place like home. I think the intense lust I feel for the wonder that wandering might bring is a symptom of how deeply I dislike where I am. I have no choice but to believe that there is a place for me out there, one where I will wake up most mornings and not feel like the kid that brought spoiled beans and boiled plantain to school as lunch.
Here are some of my favorite quotes about travelling:
-“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. We are homesick most for the places we have never known.” – Carson McCullers
– “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
– “Cover the earth before it covers you.” – Anonymous
– “It is a big and beautiful world. Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born and never get to see any of it. I don’t want to be most of us.” – Oberyn Martell, Game of Thrones
– “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but, by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” ― Maya Angelou
– “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
– “I’m restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by stars again.” – Anais Nin
Here is to more stamped pages on your passports. May your travels be as fun as they are revealing.
The Stationary Travel Bug.